Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hangin Out in the Hood

A week or so ago I was waiting for a bus at a bus stop downtown at night. There’s still some construction going on and all the fences, the hastily built structures, the cracks in the pavement, and the worn down bus stop made it all feel like a typical urban environment. Especially at night when there is little light. At the bus stop there were two guys in hoodies and jeans and a couple of guys in American thrift shop-type clothes. I shivered. The wind was blowing hard. Probably in the low 40’s. All of a sudden it occurred to me: I’m in freaking inner-city Chicago.

The only difference is, I’ve got a pistol attached to my leg. And they don’t.

6 comments:

  1. Eric. I have to say, I am a bit a appalled by your apparent racism. I mean, I thought that we as a people were way past this kind of nonsense. We have an Afro-American President, Barrack Hussein Obama (his name is even Arab!), blacks have started getting the Priesthood like five years ago (I think Darius Gray was among the first), and Keanu Reeves is actually an Arab. Thus, I believe you have more to fear from your 'neighborly' white man than blacks and Arabs...Just something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, you ignorant slug. I have great reason to fear Keanu Reeves.

    Also, I have no idea what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric, It was great seeing you at katie's wedding. Watch your ass, just like Stuart is having to do in San Francisco. You are probably in a safer location than he is. All those men in the city, are going to be wanting to sleep with him, and he might not be able to resist their good looks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric, I think you mean ignorant SLUT. And I also think you know exactly what I'm talking about. Don't you know by now that people in Iraq just aren't as fortunate as you. I'm pretty sure you used to wear thrift shop clothes. But now since you got a jarheaded head and a pistol for a leg, you think that any man whose skin isn't whiter than Jeremy Reed's you're all of sudden in an episode of Generation Kill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try this: http://urbangrounds.com/images/powder.jpg

    ReplyDelete